Sign in or
Francis J. Shakespeare - Catholic Right Wing Propaganda Top Executive; Ambassador
United States Ambassador to the Vatican, Frank Shakespeare, in Madison
Ambassador Shakespeare (rt) approaches the podium to give the Presidents’ Day talk, following Dr. Dillon’s prefatory remarks, welcoming the ambassador as “a member of the extended family of Thomas Aquinas College.”
Francis J. Shakespeare (b. April 9, 1925 in New York City), American diplomat and media executive, was United States Ambassador to the Holy See from 1986 - 1989.
In 1946 Shakespeare graduated (B.S.) from Holy Cross College. He was president of CBS Television in New York from 1950 to 1969, when was appointed Director of the United States Information Agency and served there until 1973 also as director of Radio Free Europe. Later served as vice president of Westinghouse in New York.
In 1975 he became vice chairman of RKO General. From 1981 to 1985, he was chairman, Board for International Broadcasting. He was also appointed United States Ambassador to Portugal from 1985 - 1986.
He served in the U.S. Navy from 1945 to 1946 and received many honorary degrees: in engineering from Colorado School of Mines on 1975, in commercial science from Pace University on 1979, in law from Sacred Heart University on 1985. In 1996 he campaigned for Jack Kemp for President.
Other former government officials who belong to SMOM include Frank Shakespeare, who directed the U.S. Information Agency in the early 1970s. Shakespeare is currently chairman of the board of trustees of the Heritage Foundation, a right-wing think tank with close ties to the Reagan administration.
Given their common, fervent anti-communist bias, it was also inevitable that there would be cooperation between Corporate America and the Vatican (as already referred to). Perhaps the most active Catholic group which so co-operated was the Venerable Sovereign Military & Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and Malta, better known s the Knights of Malta (SMOM for short), an Order which, like the Vatican itself, is based in Rome and enjoys sovereign status, issuing its own passports and stamps. One of the SMOM's functions in the RATLINES operation was, in fact, the supplying of false passports to the Nazis on their way to sanctuary. Other examples of this co-operation in the post-war period were the setting up of the anti-communist propaganda radio station, Radio Liberty and Radio Free Europe, joint ventures of the CIA (for funding) and SMOM members J. Peter Grace (W. R. Grace Corp.) and frank Shakespeare (CBS-TV, RIO and US Information Agency) - among others.
A partial list of the Knights and Dames of Malta reads like a Who’s Who of American Catholicism: [...]
# Frank Shakespeare
– Director of such propaganda organizations as the U.S. Information Agency, Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty. Also executive vice-president of CBS-TV and vice-chairman of RKO General Inc. He is currently chairman of the board of trustees at the Heritage Foundation, a right-wing think tank.
Frank Shakespeare - CNP 1988, 1996, 1998; graduated from Holy Cross College 1 of Notre Dame, a Catholic liberal arts transfer-intent college; friend of William F. Buckley; Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta; Chairman of the Board for International Broadcasting during the Reagan administration; Director, appointed by Nixon as U.S. Information Agency director; Director and former chairman of the board of Radio Free Europe 2 and Radio Liberty. 3 During the Reagan administration he served as Ambassador to Portugal from 1985 to 1987, and then as Ambassador to the Holy See; Trustee since 1979, The Heritage Foundation 4, Board Chairman from 1981 to 1985; has served in executive positions in the communications industry for more than 30 years; trustee of Hillsdale College 5 ; served as President of RKO, executive vice president of Westinghouse Electric Corporation, and President of CBS-TV Services; Trustee of the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation. Lead a delegation from Claremont Institute 6 to the Vatican in 2000. 7
Others in the group included two Knights who were influential right-wing Catholics: James L. Buckley, brother of William Buckley, and Frank Shakespeare, chair of the Heritage Foundation.
Shakespeare, Frank SMOM, CNP • Ambassador to the Vatican (1986-89)
• chairman of the board of trustees of Heritage
Other sites mentioning Shakespeare being an SMOM knight: http://www.nndb.com/people/640/000059463/ http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/kmlst1.htm http://www.mosquitonet.com/~prewett/caqsmom25.4.html http://www.politicalfriendster.com/rateConnection.php?id1=5338&id2=54 http://www.mosquitonet.com/~prewett/ncrmay891415.html http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-overclass.htmlhttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~shakespeare/misc/people/frank.htm http://www.voxfux.com/features/knights_of_malta_facts.html
Social Network Diagram:
Portugal 1985-1986 Italy 1986
* Alterman,E. What Liberal Media? 2004 (255)
* Barnet,R. Mueller,R. Global Reach. 1974 (145)
* Bellant,R. The Coors Connection. 1990 (40)
* Council for National Policy. Mailing List. 1984
* Council for National Policy. Member Participants. 1984
* CounterSpy 1981-10 (23)
* Covert Action Information Bulletin 1986-#25 (37-8)
* Covert Action Quarterly 1998-#63 (7)
* Domhoff,G.W. Bohemian Grove. 1975 (18)
* Green,F. American Propaganda Abroad. 1988 (38-9, 94, 187)
* Hersh,S. The Price of Power. 1983 (23)
* Judis,J. William F. Buckley, Jr. 1988 (297-9)
* Lernoux,P. People of God. 1989 (201, 298, 300)
* Mintz,M. Cohen,J. America, Inc. 1971 (118)
* Nation 1987-06-06 (762)
* National Reporter 1986-W (57)
* Resource Center. GroupWatch 1989-NSIC (1, 3)
* Resource Center. GroupWatch 1991-SMOM (1)
* Resource Center. The New Right Humanitarians. 1986 (36)
* Saloma,J. Ominous Politics. 1984 (15)
* Sklar,H. Washington's War on Nicaragua. 1988 (240)
* Snyder,A. Warriors of Disinformation. 1995 (21-2, 140A)
* Washington Post 1985-05-02 (A17)
* Washington Post 1985-07-25 (A21)
* Washington Post 1986-07-12 (A13)
* Washington Post 1986-10-16 (A19)
* Who's Who in America. 1984-1985
* Wilcox,D.A... The Right Guide. 1993 (144)
pages cited this search: 39
Latest page update: made by filresist
, Sep 25 2008, 9:28 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Moved from: THE LEO ZAGAMI EXPERIENCE
No content added or deleted.
- complete history)
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.